Monuments to visit:
Pillory: The pillory column rises on four octagonal steps of smooth whittle. The same setting shaft rises from a small square base. The bottom rung is about a foot tall; the second, inch and a half and the remaining two doi feet. The shank is girded with a strap iron with twenty-five millimeters wide. At the top of the high column we can see a consistent edge with double thread. On the capital, pyramidal trunk with eight faces is engraved the date of the monument. It was D (E) 1SS4 – 1554. The cage has eight small columns in vertical support. The pieces have a good detail in cylindrical shape with equidistant rings on which rises above the pinnacle of the dome. At the center of the cage there is a cylindrical pillar. The steeply sloping roof on which we lean the small columns in, is provided with four fillets. At the pinnacle based iron weather vane with small cross. – SOUSA, Julio Rocha – Ancient Villages of the Sernancelhe County, Viseu, Author Edition 2001
Carvalhos (Oaks’) Solar: It lies behind the Sernancelhe Parish Church. It is a noble home of the mid. XVIII century, comissioned by Paulo de Carvalho, uncle of the Marquis of Pombal, near the ruins of the old house. The architecture of the solar, which is one of fine examples that reflects the barroque feature in the treating some decorative elements, it is distributed by two almost symmetrical bodies joined by a rococo hood, with the characteristic golden shell masonry and the whiteness of the whitewashed wall. The main façade has a coat of arms, which in addition to the coat of the Carvalhos family seems to document the high clergy origin, of which belonged the owner and principal. This manor house has been built partly on the ruins of the house where Marquis of Pombal lived part of his childhood.
Home of the Malta Commander: The Order of Malta reached Sernancelhe in the twelfth century, where in accordance with its rules had a broad action by the charity, care and defense of the territory. The Order of Malta possessed in the County many goods, being the most important one this house. Home that impresses with its simplicity and austere nobility. The whole façade, region’s granite and protruding cornice, is ennobled and marked by symbols of the military mission of defense of the region, the country and the pilgrims. Therefore it is possible to find there four burners barrel: two major and with lacy collars, and the other two smaller ones on the private part. The portal is surmounted by the stone weapons (dated 1611), not from the Commendation but from the commander. A distinctive landmark from the order is undoubtedly the cross of Malta, similar to a star, exquisitely carved that is seen around the building. The House of Commendation is a space of history, adapted (by the current owner, Mr. Arthur Pereira Rodrigues) to the modern requirements of a tourism of quality and prepared to offer a pleasant stay.